• Page:

TOPIC: Cloned Animal Products in the Food Supply

Cloned Animal Products in the Food Supply 16 Jan 2008 15:53 #2854

• Crystal1972
  • Crystal1972's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
There was a segment on the Today Show this morning about the FDA's approval of milk and meat from cloned cows, pigs and goats and their offspring into the food supply. This really freaks me out...I think they are moving far too quickly in allowing cloned animals into the food supply. Do they really understand the genetic effects on offspring several generations down the line from the cloned animals?

(This makes me feel really good about the fact that we aren't eating beef at my house anymore, and we've switched largely to soy milk and soy products.)

Here's a blurb from the Environmental News Service...

WASHINGTON, DC, January 15, 2008 (ENS) - The federal Food and Drug Administration has concluded that meat and milk from clones of cattle, swine, and goats, and the offspring of clones from any species traditionally consumed as food, are as safe to eat as food from conventionally bred animals, the agency announced today.

There was insufficient information for the FDA to reach a conclusion on the safety of food from clones of other animal species, such as sheep.

The government's decision drew criticism from the meat industry, farmers, animal protection groups and some lawmakers.

Cloned Animal Products in the Food Supply 16 Jan 2008 16:04 #2855

• Crystal1972
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Crystal,

Thank you for posting about this current craziness....it scares me too. I understand the science behind cloning, but I think we need much more time to research consumption of the offspring. It does seem too unnatural to me.

I think the public awareness is going to stop consumption and ALL producers are going to suffer. If everyone stops eating beef all together (except for organic) then the producers will have no choice but to STOP.

Very scary times we live in....I'm losing all faith in the FDA

Cloned Animal Products in the Food Supply 16 Jan 2008 16:25 #2856

• Crystal1972
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I just felt a little shiver down my spine after reading your response. I know...what is going on at the FDA? They are just approving things left and right, only to find out later that Oops! That wasn't such a good idea!

Hopefully the presidential CHANGE that we are hoping for will address these issues! Did you see the debate last evening? I caught about half of it...it was pretty exciting; I liked a lot of what I heard.

Cloned Animal Products in the Food Supply 16 Jan 2008 18:20 #2857

• Crystal1972
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
No darn it, I didn't see the debate last night...I watched a very interesting program on public television about Dick Chaney's Law...produced by Independent Lens, very informative.

Yes, who ever wins the next presidential election will have their work cut out for them. I'd even love to see McCain win on the Republican side if Hillary or Obama lose. McCain would change things for the better, he couldn't be worse than what we've had so far. What a mess.

Oh, thanks for your post over at pms-pmdd.com, you're membership has been approved.

Edited: couldn't be worse :)

Cloned Animal Products in the Food Supply 16 Jan 2008 19:11 #2858

• Crystal1972
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks Debra, I'm looking forward to browsing around at pms/pmdd later when I get a chance!

Cloned Animal Products in the Food Supply 17 Jan 2008 00:19 #2859

• Crystal1972
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I won't buy cloned meat if I know it's from cloned animals...or milk.

Cloned Animal Products in the Food Supply 17 Jan 2008 02:00 #2860

• Crystal1972
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
That's part of the problem...they aren't requiring the meat or milk to be labeled any differently than any other beef or milk!!!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds