Topics include whatever you want to talk about. Registered uses only

TOPIC: My Progress

My Progress 13 Jan 2007 18:38 #4719

• Bast
  • Bast's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have just moved into a lovely white house at the top of a hill in Los Angeles. I am originally from New York and came out here to start anew. In my mind this is the land of healing. Lots of sunlight, less stress, good foods.

Arriving here with no material objects save my computer, camera and some clothes, I've really got a clean slate with which to begin. So here I am going to document my progress.

Debra discovered and doctors have confirmed that I have Gluten Intolerance. Though I expected it to be easy to buy and prepare foods for myself in LA, I've found that in the month I've been here I've frequently been "glutened." The effects are profound and immediate. I generally feel the disorientation, indecision, brain-fuzz at the same time that my belly begins to howl like a pack of coyotes. I become congested. In the morning I'll have diahrrea. And then my PMS symptoms become apparent and I curse myself for not having known better than to let that piece of steak (which in hindsight I imagine soaked in soysauce) or that corn tortilla (which quite possibly had flour itself or was cooked on the same grill with all those burritos) pass by my lips. Its time to get serious.

Here I sit, four or five days before my menses, having already felt the effects for the past few days. I've isolated, not made plans, felt ambivalent about leaving my house and overall a little uncomfortable, bloated, as if my body belonged to someone else. Its not unbearable. Its just not as good as it could be.

That said, I'm applying for jobs! (I haven't worked in over a year because of the PMDD.) I've applied for graduate school. I've applied for grants. I drove myself 4000 miles across this country. I'm hiking with my dog in the hills. And I've just joined a yoga class that meets twice a week. For those of you that know my history, you'll agree this is PROGRESS.

I promised myself a kitchen with few but really nice things. Here I will learn to cook well for myself. It will be a sacred place of healing. Yesterday luck was with me and I found a Sitram Profisserie 11pc Cookware Set on Ebay for $100. This set is normally $400 and I've been lusting after it. I was planning to just buy one pan ($40-50) to get started! I'm so excited I don't believe that it will come true. I'll let you know when it arrives.

I'm seeking products online and discovering farmers markets so that I can be truly Gluten Free. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Alex

My Progress 14 Jan 2007 14:17 #4720

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Alex,

Boy did you get a great deal on those pots and pans, they're absolutely beautiful! I'm going to have to start calling you the "Professional". Are you going to hang them over your stove? Do you have a center island you can hang them over?

Your new house sounds so great perched on top of a hill.

Going out to eat can be very risky, but in time I know you're going to find some wonderful places to dine without worry. Oh, you also have to find a Trader Joe's close to you. When I lived in Long Beach, there was a big one in the Marina area I used to shop at, so I know there's got to be one close to you. They have an array of GF products, frozen organic chicken, fish, nuts, dried fruits and some unusual frozen foods. I think I may have a list of their GF foods somewhere on the board but they change it every month.

My Pot and Pan Envy (Alex's new pots and pans)

My Progress 14 Jan 2007 20:55 #4721

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Yes, Debra, didn't I hit the Jackpot! Unfortunately, no island to pass them over but hanging them is a very nice idea. I also inherited a nice stainless butler tray (a two tiered thing on wheels) that I thought I could put in the kitchen with them nicely displayed.

Thanks for mentioning Trader Joe's. I have been shopping there but have not had an easy time discovering their GF products. I think I'll visit them online to see if I can learn more.

The stress of travel, relocation, separation, and starting anew seems to have caught up with me. I'm having a strong PMS month. I'd like to share some of my symptoms here if that's ok. This is about progress, not perfection.

Yesterday I side-swiped a truck as I was moving 5 miles/hr and the truck was parked. My periferal vision/depth perception is off. This is an old symptom for me that hasn't been acting up in such a long time. Cars honked at me the entire mile and 1/2 to my brother's house and I realized I was driving 20 miles/hr in a 40 miles/hr zone. This morning I dropped a glass top which broke. It just slipped out of my hands.

My friend called and said, You sound really spacey. Is it PMS? Same friend mirrored back to me that I'm doing very well considering a move across country, looking for jobs, moving into a new home and leaving a relationship just two months ago.

Everything inside and out feels swollen and prickly, principally my throat and chest. Finally, I feel exhausted just thinking about taking a hike with my dog.

My period is due this week. I believe it came on the 19th last month.

I'm also making plans for AFTER the 19th because I think I won't be my best self before that. It is a bit isolating however. How do others cope with this?

My Progress 15 Jan 2007 18:53 #4722

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thank goodness! I was wakened by cramps in the night. My period began at 3:30 am. I feel normal again. A bit groggy, I'll admit. But it is such a relief to know that my PMS lasts 4-5 days and is characterized mostly by "ditsy-ness".

If this had gone on for another 4 days I would have been MAD. Then I would have thought were is my recovery?

But I can try to wittle down the 4-5 days to 1-2 days through diet. That's my goal.

My Progress 15 Jan 2007 19:15 #4723

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Alex,

You're going to be back to you're ol' "good as new self" very soon. I know you'll do better next month having more control of you foods.

The past month for you has been quite a whirlwind, to say the least with all the moving.

I've been reading up on some of the newish research regarding thresholds of gluten intake or how much gluten is actually safe for gluten intolerant people. If I remember correctly they say anything under 20 ppm or less a day is safe. I think it relates to something like 5 grams of a gluten containing food is safe for most celiacs.  I however am finding this very hard to believe. Let's talk about what 5 grams of a gluten containing product is. I'll use the example I was given in a chemistry class- think about the weight of 1 paperclip than pick up 5 of them.

The example they use in Dr. Green's book is something like 1/8th of a teaspoon.

In my opinion any amount of gluten can cause an immune response in a gluten intolerant women increasing the assortment of possible PMDD symptoms.

My Progress 15 Jan 2007 19:42 #4724

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thank you Debra. Yes, I know this month that I ate 2 bites of meat that was soaked in soy sauce (part of the buffet at a Film Festival). That was probably my quota. On New Year's eve I went out without having eaten. Because I was drinking Cider — is that ok? — I ate some chinese food that someone had brought in. That probably had Gluten in it too. I think there must be other examples that I was less aware of.

My Progress 15 Jan 2007 20:08 #4725

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

I was drinking Cider — is that ok? — I ate some chinese food that someone had brought in

Cider should be fine, I'm assuming it was apple cider, fresh is probably best, but sometime people have a reaction to preservatives that might be added. Most apple cider you see in the store is pasteurized.

The Chinese food- more than likely is the problem, soy sauce again and some noodles made with flour instead of rice, but you have a problem with rice too, don't you?

My Progress 15 Jan 2007 20:34 #4726

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi. Cider was the fermented, alcoholic variety (like beer though the bartender told me that it was pure fruit. Hops, perhaps.)

The chinese food was a chili beef. Very hot, no noodles. Likely it contained Soy Sauce. I want to do some research on different Cultural Cuisines and what is used in their sauces and pastes. Do you have any leads for this sort of research?

The other night I ate at an organic vietnamese restaurant that was very good. I ordered sweet potato fries and chicken noodle soup without the noodles. I believe it was GF however, I did try the chili paste with my fries and was suspicious of that. I also had a very bad taste in my mouth later in the evening.

I do find very occassionally I have really bad breath/taste. This was more common B.R. (before recovery) and I've begun to associate it with Gluten.

Debra, I wonder also if you have any ideas about the grogginess. I tend to be extremely groggy for an hour after I wake up every day. During menses it is worse. The confusion, lack of coordination and general (pretty severe) spaciness I felt yesterday is gone today. Are their dietary indications for this?

An example: I drove to Trader Joe's yesterday (two miles from my house). I called two people before I left to alert them that I would be driving. I said I'd call when I returned because I was really anxious about getting there and getting back. I took Ulysses with me. Going down my steep driveway I realized I was in Reverse Gear. I've never done this before. I felt that I was a danger on the road and pulled over to let a motorcyclist pass. I drive very slowely in this state. I went around the block twice before I was able to park. When I got home and called my brother he said, Did you know where you were geographically? You drove right by my office. I was standing outside. You should have stopped. I said I didn't notice. He asked if I'd run anyone over on the way home. I said I didn't think so but probably wouldn't have noticed if I had.

My Progress 15 Jan 2007 21:18 #4727

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
[user=12]januaryriver[/user] wrote:

Hi. Cider was the fermented, alcoholic variety (like beer though the bartender told me that it was pure fruit. Hops, perhaps.) Was probably fine hops are gluten free.

The Chinese food was a chili beef. Very hot, no noodles. Likely it contained Soy Sauce. I want to do some research on different Cultural Cuisines and what is used in their sauces and pastes. Do you have any leads for this sort of research?

I 'll check around for you, but I do subscribe to Cooking Light and every month they have special articles on World Cuisine. I have a TON of old issues I can send you via mail, or you might just check out their website and see what they have available on past issues. Here's the link, scroll down the page and you'll see a list of countries http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking/recipefinder.dyn?action=categoryBrowse

The other night I ate at an organic Vietnamese restaurant that was very good. I ordered sweet potato fries and chicken noodle soup without the noodles.

Did they make new for you from scratch or did they just remove the broth from the prepared soup with noodles? I believe it was GF however, I did try the chili paste, the chili paste was probably thickened with wheat flour starch or wheat flour, you have to ask how it was prepared. with my fries and was suspicious of that. I also had a very bad taste in my mouth later in the evening.

I do find very occasionally I have really bad breath/taste. This was more common B.R. (before recovery) and I've begun to associate it with Gluten. Yes, they do some kind of H2 breath test for a gluten response....I have to look it up and see what it's called.

Debra, I wonder also if you have any ideas about the grogginess. I tend to be extremely groggy for an hour after I wake up every day. During menses it is worse. The confusion, lack of coordination and general (pretty severe) spaciness I felt yesterday is gone today. Are their dietary indications for this? Yes it's called gluten contamination or cross contamination. Alex, this is how you present when exposed to gluten, getting all possibility of gluten out of your diet will alleviate the grogginess.

An example: I drove to Trader Joe's yesterday (two miles from my house). I called two people before I left to alert them that I would be driving. I said I'd call when I returned because I was really anxious about getting there and getting back. I took Ulysses with me. Going down my steep driveway I realized I was in Reverse Gear. I've never done this before. I felt that I was a danger on the road and pulled over to let a motorcyclist pass. I drive very slowly in this state. I went around the block twice before I was able to park. When I got home and called my brother he said, Did you know where you were geographically? You drove right by my office. I was standing outside. You should have stopped. I said I didn't notice. He asked if I'd run anyone over on the way home. I said I didn't think so but probably wouldn't have noticed if I had.  I think you're going to have to get bigger mirrors all around your car and that new radar alarm device they put on SUV's while they're backing up that alerts the driver if there's someone or something in their path.:P

I remember when you couldn't drive at all in New York, but now that you're living in LA, you're going to have to drive or hire a driver, if you live in Alex's neighborhood watch out! :D

My Progress 15 Jan 2007 21:53 #4728

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Alex,

I was thinking about your use of the words "chili paste", then remembered that Thai kitchen makes a wide variety of  curry pastes that are GLUTEN FREE,

Check out this link to their allergy information. http://www.thaikitchen.com/allergyinfo.html

I still have a bottle of green curry paste in the fridge that I need to use.....remember that fabulous Thai green curry Shrimp with coriander rice  recipe I sent you out of the book I got at "The Cliff" restaurant in Barbados. Oh that was so good I need to make that again, thanks for the reminder

Time to create page: 0.965 seconds