TOPIC: My Progress

My Progress 27 Feb 2007 14:56 #4718

• Bast
  • Bast's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Debra,

It was good talking with you last night.

I believe, based on past experience and current symptoms, that I may have walking pneumonia. I was up coughing all night (my lungs have the death rattle), have chills and weakness. Any indications for how to treat it short of taking antibiotics?

This morning I've had probiotics, multivitamin, vitamin D, fish oil, garlic, tumeric in raw honey and propolis. Am I leaving anything out?

Its become worse since my hike so I skipped yoga this morning and intend to take it easy and heal from this bug.

Alex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My Progress 27 Feb 2007 15:06 #4717

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Yes, it was good to talk with you too, and I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I had to look up propolis to see what you were taking. Bee wax pollen? Interesting.

A bowl of chicken and vegetable soup with your garlic might also be good. :)

My Progress 02 Mar 2007 06:59 #4740

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Woke feeling worse than ever this morning—coughing up phlegm, feverish and chilled, low in energy, short of breath, and totally disoriented, didn't know where I was or what day it was. Decided I needed to take some action. So, I've started a course of antibiotics tonight.

Feel better now though my eyes are puffy. Have no idea if Azithromycin has gluten. I hope not. The pharmacist couldn't tell me. Here is all the information I could find online:
ZITHROMAX is supplied for oral administration as film-coated, modified capsular shaped
tablets containing azithromycin dihydrate equivalent to either 250 mg or 500 mg azithromycin and the following inactive ingredients: dibasic calcium phosphate anhydrous, pregelatinized starch, sodium croscarmellose, magnesium stearate, sodium lauryl sulfate, hypromellose, lactose, titanium dioxide, triacetin and D&C Red #30 aluminum lake.Of
course, I got the generic variety and don't know if they make it the same way.

Doc said it might not work but agreed it was worth the try. Suggested I use Monistat and take my probiotics as preventive medicine.

Also did some work with a Native American healer who said she felt I'd shrunk my spirit which felt very small to her at the moment and that illness and my spartan living conditions (I have virtually no furniture and no work on the walls) were an effect of that. We began to make a Dream Catcher, weaving in my knowledge of my ancestors, people important to me and my strengths as a way to relieve the stress of trauma. Fascinating stuff. This kind of healing doesn't just show up at one's house in NY. There do seem to be angels in LA.

My Progress 02 Mar 2007 07:29 #4741

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
EpiCor sounds very good. Especially if it helps with IgA deficiency BUT, does it contain Gluten? Couldn't find the list of ingredients (made of many natural ingredients, they say) on the website.

My Progress 02 Mar 2007 14:02 #4742

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Alex,

I'm sorry you're feeling under the weather. Here's an excellent link to a list of drugs, vitamins, and OTC medications that I found on celiacforms.com, there's also a website listed you can visit as well.  Azythromycin is gluten-free (spelled with a y?) according to this list, I'm hoping it's the same thing you're talking about. EpiCor is a newish product, I'll contact the manufacture and ask about how they grown and ferment the yeast and get back to you.

This is only a partial list but covers many products.

http://homepage.mac.com/sholland/celiac/GFmedlist.pdf

Your Indian healer sounds very interesting. Alex why don't you borrow some artwork from your brother to hang on the walls. Also check with the library, sometimes you can borrow (check-out) art for a couple of weeks at a time.

You might also think about a "roommate"? who has furniture. I know, I know roommates are a pain in the you know what. My professor aunt who moved from Arizona to Ohio found some wonderful second hand furniture at charity shops run by the Junior League. My brother used to find excellent stuff in the Penny-Saver, but you have to go to a strangers home.  

Creating an environment you feel expresses your personality and that's comfortable will help uplift the spirit.

Yes, there's a variety of people in LA :D

My Progress 02 Mar 2007 16:28 #4743

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Actually, I've chosen to keep the place spare and the walls bare like an art studio, I can imagine what I like and project that onto the walls. I like it this way. Until I know what I want and need, I intend to have as little as possible. It's my blank slate after fifteen years in relationship and other people's opinions, I'm learning what my desire's are.

Thanks for the med list.

My Progress 05 Mar 2007 04:46 #4744

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Debra,

I just had an instant tummy rumble and acute (rush-to-the-bathroom) reaction to something I ate, would you help me decifer what it might have been?

A half sour pickle (cucumbers, water, garlic, salt and spices)
Quinoa
Tofu
*Maya Kaimal Indian Sauce Coconut Curry
Ingredients: All natural cocunut milk, water, onion, potato, tomato puree, spices, ginger, vegetable oil, salt, brown mustard seeds, green chili, fresh curry leaves, sugar, tumeric
(Vegan, contains no allergens)

*This is the only addition but I have wondered about tofu. Never noticed this kind of reaction, however.

Thanks.
ps. I had a slight rash and puffy eye reaction to the anti-biotic but that has passed.

My Progress 05 Mar 2007 04:51 #4745

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
ps. I used to live someone who worked for Maya Kaimal (she's a person in Brooklyn) and their products are great.

pps. http://MayaKaimal.com says this about their ingredients:

Are they vegetarian, vegan or gluten free?
All are vegetarian and gluten free. Vindaloo, Coconut Curry and Tamarind Curry contain no dairy and are vegan.

Are they all natural?
Yes, there are no artificial colors, flavors, stabilizers, or fillers added to our products.

Do they contain preservatives?
No, we add no preservatives to our products.

If they don’t have preservatives, how do they stay fresh?
Our recipes contain acidic ingredients such as lemon juice, tamarind, vinegar, and tomato puree, which act as natural barriers to spoilage.

What kind of vegetable oil do you use?
Canola oil.

My Progress 05 Mar 2007 12:51 #4746

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Alex,

That MayaKaimal Indian Coconut Curry sauce sounds wonderful, was it really hot (spice)? I'm wondering if since after your round of antibiotics if you reduced your body's ability to hand the spice, or the possibility of over acid. Did you have any reflux along with it?

What brand is the tofu? Is it a flavored type? Some of the pre-cooked flavored types of tofu contain gluten from the seasonings/flavoring. Do you still have the label?

Your pickle should be fine unless it was pickled in malt vinegar, but I'm sure you'd have caught that ingredient on the label.

My Progress 14 Mar 2007 19:09 #4747

• Bast
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Here to report on my first ever painless period and virtually symptomless cycle. I even loved the little bit of irritation and the few tears shed with news of my ex-boyfriend's philandering. Both were mild reactions.

What did I do differently this time that I will repeat forever and indefinately?

I hibernated. Cancelled all plans good ones and stressful ones. I stayed in for four days except for frequent walks with my dog. I wrote, researched, read, watched movies, talked on the phone with friends and took baths with essential oils every day. I slept long hours (8-12) each night. I cooked for myself, baked a gf pineapple upsidedown cake that wasn't half bad and a chicken stew with sweet potatoes and brocolli. I drank pediasure each day. I was gluten free all month and drank no alcohol. Yesterday, when I got my period, I didn't eat at all.

I took vitamin D3 and Calcium, BCQ, Primrose oil, Probiotics, Cod Liver Oil (yuck) and an aspirin.

My energy is so high, I could do a dance and kiss the earth then probably fly.

Let's see if I can repeat it next cycle.

Time to create page: 0.849 seconds