Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Open to Public. Tell us about your success so others are inspired.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Foodreka

Foodreka 17 Nov 2005 16:12 #2360

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
~
This was posted on The PMS & PMDD Message Board I used to volunteer on and thought it would be good for everyone here to read, just in case you never go to that support board. Enjoy, she makes some very good comments.

Hi everyone!

I just finished my last bout of PMS/PMDD for October and I just want to say that I'm grateful for having found insight by this Board and especially through cyclediet.com.

After my last bout of PMS in September, (If you note my thread "Days I feel cursed" on Sept 6, 2005 somewhere on page 2 of the Newbies Board) I was led to cyclediet.com and thereafter decided to give it a try. Give what a try exactly? Just read on...

All the foods that are recommended throughout the follicular and luteal phase on cyclediet.com are in fact very very healthy. To my surprise, I opened up the kitchen fridge and almost everything is in it! Fish from the market, fruits, nuts, flaxseeds etc, were there. My dad is a heart patient, he had a heart attack about a year ago and I discovered his food regiment is the same as mine! A bonus! No pork, no beef. Sometimes my mom buys turkey breast meat and organic-fed chicken and lots n lots of veges. This only shows how ignorant I have been towards eating healthy. (By the way my dad also drinks organic soy. I drink this now too).

I realized that I wasn't eating at home regularly as my mom really cooks healthy meals. Fish, veges and brown rice everyday. More of an Asian diet. She even steams our rice with flaxseed. She uses olive oil in her cooking and liquid amino's instead of salt. Mostly steaming and blanching veges.

So I started analyzing all the types of foods and I also found that TEA was not on the list of foods to be taken. I did some further online research on tea and discovered that caffeine in tea definitely has an effect on our endocrine system and on PMS. I traced back my tea-drinking habits and I started drinking tea since 1997 (19 yrs old) everyday! It's a no wonder then. So, during my last follicular phase I switched to de-caf coffee (although it still contains caffeine but very little) and I felt the difference. I just felt it. I could sleep better too. No migraines in the last cycle! But my body felt hearty after having de-caf coffee so I think I might have to find a substitute. They don't sell any de-caf tea around my place Ideas anyone?

The emotions were less intense and manageable. I can't claim that they have totally disappeared but at least were manageable. I didn't have a migraine, my acne flare up was minor and I'm pleased with the results.

However, I cannot pin on exactly if it was entirely because of tea because I also did adhere to "what food should be avoided" and so during the follicular phase I reduced my salt intake and fried foods (KFC & French Fries). I took cal-mag tablets and also flaxseed oil each day. I avoided ice creams and sugary food and drinks, reduced salt as far as I could and limited fast food. However the cravings for these did come during the luteal phase. So I think I might still have to work on my current follicular (by taking more vitamins) and coming luteal phase (taking more healthy choices for my cravings).

Overall, I found that my symptoms were less, albeit still present but reduced to manageable. It takes effort as eating healthy can so easily slip my mind. So at times I need to remind myself again.

For this time round, for my follicular phase, I think I would do it differently - maybe better and stricter.

Another thing, based on my cycle-history and charting I do suffer extreme depression especially one to two days before my period comes.

Being aware helps only to a certain extent but I found that by not taking tea it has made me a little calmer. I am still irritable but like I said it's manageable because of the food-changes I've made. I've also come to a realization that it is so easy to slip into depression at those times so I need to keep my spirits up as well. (Easier said than done though!)

I'm still working on my diet and I hope the next round proves well. My relationship with my bf has improved because he noticed the change in my last cycle too and brought me out for dinner at a resort! Woo-hoo! (I still had to order the right foods though.)

However, I am extremely short-tempered still when driving during PMS so I have to take deep breaths. It's because I palpitate and I guess I need to work more on the salt intake. (Any one have more ideas?) On normal days I don't mind someone jumping the queue so I know it happens during PMS.

Well, there is still more work to do and I've discovered that my body must be treated right and with respect. There is still hope and I am very much relieved that I do not have to take a Zoloft pill. There is hope and I'm glad I survived my last bout with "less damage on my relationships".

All the foods that taste good and yummy - Chocolate, Ice Cream, Pringles, Cookies, Fries have to be sacrificed but I think it is worth it. Sometimes I do feel like having a cheesecake so I limit myself to half a cake or something.

I only came back to the Board after about a month because I really wanted to experiment and to see if it could work. It did work and it's worth giving it a try - namely dietary changes. Please consider it.

So my thanks and gratitude goes out to Anthea and Debra without you I wouldn't have discovered what I have discovered. Thank you so much.

Please do keep up the good work.

Cheers to good health!

p.s will keep you all updated

Foodreka 22 Sep 2007 00:29 #2361

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
bump
  • Page: