Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Open to Public. Tell us about your success so others are inspired.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Feeling So Much Better by Sara May 20, 2006

Feeling So Much Better by Sara May 20, 2006 20 May 2006 17:36 #2379

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
[b:1b5f3a8b19][color=blue:1b5f3a8b19]Posted by Sara in the Introductions, moved to the Success Board[/color:1b5f3a8b19][/b:1b5f3a8b19]

Hi Debra and all,

It's been a while since I've posted so I wanted to share with you all of my struggles and success with resolving my PMDD.

It's a long story and I'm not sure this is the place to post it, but anyway you can move it if it's supposed to be on some other board.

I did give the Zolft a try but it made NO REAL Difference, more than anything it made me feel very dull, I lost all desire for sex with my husband and decided it wasn't right for me. Then I finally gave the cyclediet a try, ordered the work book and really made the decision to advocate for myself with my new doctor, I decided not to go back to my old doctor since he didn't have any knowledge on PMDD. Reading about vitamin D and calcium, iron, folate and other nutrients on this board and on other sites, I demanded to be tested for them all. My doctor didn't want to do it but I said I'd pay her directly without going through my insurance company. You should have seen her face light up. In that case she said there would be NO PROBLEM. Apparently the reason they don't do the tests is because many insurance companies won't cover them. Wow, did I learn a lesson from that, thankfully I can afford to pay out of pocket for these tests. Actually my insurance company did pay for cholesterol and blood iron tests but the other tests totalled around $300.

It's no surprise that I was extremely deficient on vitamin D and my iron levels were low but not really what you would call deficient. My doctor prescribed a 3,000 IU's of D3 a day along with good multi vitamin and calcium tablet. I showed her the cycle diet workbook and she said YES, I should follow it as best that I could.

Well, that was about 3 months ago and I can tell you I feel sooooo much better, I can't believe the difference. It was a gradual change, the first month was a little better then the second month was better and finally the third month was almost symptom free.

I was surprised how much better nutrition made the difference. I have to say I'm only taking 1,000 IU's a day of vitamin D now but all of my levels have improved. My doctor is also surprised by my progress and is going to start testing all women who come to her now complaining of PMDD symptoms.

Thank you Debra for all your help and insight. I will always be grateful for the time and support you gave to me. I hope that anyone who's reading this will take the suggestions made on this website to help themselves. You have to stand up for yourself with your doctors and learn as much as you can about this disorder.

Good luck to all of you searching for solutions, I've found my solution and hope it works for you too.

Sincerely,
Sara

Feeling So Much Better by Sara May 20, 2006 20 May 2006 17:55 #2380

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
Sara,

[b:1dd44f6226]Thank you so much for your wonderful post, you are truly an inspiration to all who come to this website. [/b:1dd44f6226]You offer such hope, encouragement and courage to those who don't know how to advocate for themselves with their doctors.

To those who feel that they don't have the courage to advocate for themselves please find someone, maybe a significant other--husband, boyfriend, mother, father who will help you.

Sara, I am truly happy for you and please don't hesitate to post more about your experiences on the path to wellness. Sharing your experiences with others is such a gift.

Thanks again and the best to you and your family.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.050 seconds