Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Open to Public. Tell us about your success so others are inspired.
  • Page:

TOPIC: So far, so good!

So far, so good! 23 May 2007 20:57 #2412

• kellsue
  • kellsue's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
While I haven't been following the diet to the letter, I am following the general recommendations of which foods to avoid and and which to eat as well as which supplements to take for a couple of weeks now. I've also been exercising every day. I'm due to start my period in 4 days and I feel 98% normal. While the change is exciting, it's also scary--what my poor body must have been going through when I was eating junk and sitting on the couch!!

My only complaint so far is I'm not sleeping very well, a typical PMDD symptom for me. I think that's to blame for my 2% as much as anything else. Debra, any advice about that?

So far, so good! 23 May 2007 23:04 #2413

• kellsue
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Kelly,

A big congratulations on hanging in there "loosely" anyway for the first month- proof that even some healthier changes can make a difference, especially if you've had a really bad diet in the past- your body is now thanking you with fewer symptoms. :D 

Thank you so much for posting, I'm so happy you decided to talk about your success here so others can benefit from your experience even if it's only been one cycle. Can you please give me (us) an idea of what you used to eat and what you're doing now. It helps me to give you a better idea of what to tweak if you need to.

Are you charting your cycle? It's really important to make note of the symptoms that linger. Every symptom can sometimes have a tell-tail cause. Insomnia can be caused by a few different things, mostly the drop in serotonin levels or the rapid drop in estrogen just prior to menses can also cause it. Upping vitamin D levels can help.

My advice to you is to keep it up, don't overdo it on the supplements (remember more is not necessarily better and in some cases detrimental) allowing more nutrients to come from healthier food choices and to look for any food sensitivities (if) you have any.....pay attention to your GI track now that you're only 4 days away from your period.

My best wishes to you for speedy resolutions of all symptoms :)

Oh- and welcome to the board!

So far, so good! 05 Jun 2007 20:45 #2416

• kellsue
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Debra,

My ex and I used to eat out a lot, especially on weekends. Diners, chain restaurants, sometimes a "better" place. My favorite stress foods are BBQ ribs, hot dogs, ice cream, milk shakes, omelette's, Reuben's, take-out Chinese food, fried calamari, mozzarella sticks, nachos, gyros, Greek salad, Italian hero sandwiches, Slim Jims, liverwurst sandwiches, BLTs, bagels with cream cheese, hummus...

Good heavens. And I wondered how I got to be 45 lbs overweight!-- Yep this will do it

My typical day now:

Breakfast: Smart Balance oatmeal w/Omega-3, soy yogurt (I've finally admitted I'm lactose intolerant and am cutting out dairy altogether) this sounds great.

Mid-morning snack: fruit

Lunch: frozen meal, usually vegetarian Amy's Organic or Kashi. Now non-dairy. No chicken, either--I've been allergic to chicken and turkey all my life. You'll need a little more protein from egg, soy crumbles, tofu...lean organic red meat is also okay during the follicular phase in small amounts if you find it digestible, if a problem then hold off.

Afternoon snack: fruit or veggies or popcorn (100 calorie bag) or a can of tuna or salmon or some combo of those excellent

Dinner: cereal w/ soy milk, pasta fortified w/Omega-3 w/tomato sauce, take-out from a vegetarian place or the fish market, a PB & J, or non-lactose meal-replacement shake if I'm not that hungry sounds good
:)
Drinks: mostly water, sometimes decaf black, green or herbal tea

Supplements: a multi w/extra calcium, 50 mg of B6, sometimes flaxseed oil (this is gross, but I burp when I take oil capsules, so I don't like taking them much, 1 capsule at a time is good if you're experiencing burping.....however I must say this is a sign that you might have a problem with fat digestion/metabolism --I might suggest the next time you see your doctor that you have pancreas and liver enzymes tested. especially the fish oil ones. Ick!) The next time I'm in the market for vitamins I plan to do what you suggest and get a separate supplement for the calcium and vit D. You may also want to have your D levels tested as well before you start taking high levels of D.

Exercise: Usually an hour most days (some days just 1/2 an hour). Yoga class once or twice a week. Took only one day off, and that was after a 4-hour yoga workshop the day before. I was too sore to move! sorry about that, hope you're feeling better.

As you can see, I'm not much of a cook. But since I'm single now, I do have more time on the weekends to start cooking again. (I've gotten lazy over the years!) This is also a very good thing, you'll have more control over your food as well as saving money from eating out all the time --congrats, you'll have more money to buy fabulous clothes as you approach your weight loss goal.:)

My period ended a few days ago and I felt mostly fine, except for the insomnia and some cramping on my heaviest day You will need to keep up the omega 3's----see new omega 3 post on inflammation and PMS cramps. It sometimes takes a couple of cycles with increased omega 3's before the cramps less.  Maybe a little less social, but I still functioned--went to work, went to my sister's for a BBQ (only ate veggies and fruit! Well, ok some chips and homemade guacamole, too). Didn't have the irritability, depression, anger, lethargy (except from lack of sleep), teariness or breast tenderness.

This is progress...excellent work, you're going to find this next cycle is going to be even better. The sleep will come when serotonin level increase. I'm worried about your lactose intolerance tho, only because this is a sign of intestinal inflammation and a possible gluten sensitivity. I also notice you've really cut down on grains, breads...are you trying to avoid gluten? You're on a rather gluten light diet right now. Do you get diarrhea or constipation after the wheat pasta?

As far as my GI track, I did notice less gas and BMs when I stopped with the dairy.

And I'm 13 pounds away from my weight-loss goal. Congratulations again, how much have you lost so far?

So far, so good! 05 Jun 2007 21:56 #2417

• kellsue
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey Kelly,

Great post and excellent news!!, Please see my comments inside your message.:D

So far, so good! 06 Jun 2007 15:08 #2411

• kellsue
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Debra,

Thanks so much for your comments.

Oil supplements: I only take one flaxseed oil capsule, and have the burping problem. I'll discuss what you said about the pancreas and liver enzymes w/ my doctor. I'll take it more often for the cramps.

Lunch: usually the frozen meal has some sort of tofu in it. For instance, yesterday I had pad thai with tofu. Do you think that's enough protein?

Gluten: I'm not trying to cut down, I've never eaten much in the first place. I've never noticed problems after eating pasta or bread. In fact, I had pasta last night for dinner and I haven't noticed any change, GI-wise. Should I incorporate more grains?

Should I do something else about the lactose intolerence, aside from avoiding dairy? I want to avoid inflammation--last fall I developed my second rectal abscess (I had my first one about 6 years ago), and want to do what I can to avoid another one. Should I get tested for other sensitivities?

Also, I forgot to mention another PMS/PMDD symptom I still got this month--acne.

So far, so good! 06 Jun 2007 15:10 #2415

• kellsue
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Weight loss: I reached an all-time high of 165 a couple of years ago. I'm down to 133 now. My goal is 120 (I'm 5 feet tall.).

So far, so good! 06 Jun 2007 16:04 #2414

• kellsue
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Kelly,

I'm going to continue this thread inside the private client's forum due to the nature of the discussion is this okay with you? You can follow this link: http://www.cyclediet.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=900&forum_id=11

or just go to the private consultation forum
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds