Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Open to Public. Tell us about your success so others are inspired.
  • Page:

TOPIC: I'm so Happy I found the Cycle Diet

I'm so Happy I found the Cycle Diet 14 Nov 2007 14:11 #2423

• Sunflower
  • Sunflower's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello to All,

I'm so grateful to have found this website and all of the information provided by you Debra. I've been following your advice and diet plan for about 2 months now, I'm going into my 3rd cycle. I've learned so much about my cycle, how I react to different foods but more than anything my severe symptoms have diminished to the point that I feel like I'm getting my old self back. I would close off my closest friends and family the week before my period when I felt an overwhelming darkness creeping over me like clockwork. My poor husband had to be both mom and dad to our children because I was in such a state during that time I just couldn't handle any stressful situation. There were times in the past that I thought my children might be better off without me and I've threatened my husband with divorce more than you can imagine. I've tried taking antideppresents, herbal remedies, birth control pills, but they didn't work for me, I felt numb or rather like a zombie on the antidepressants. The pill just made my symptoms worse.

I have such hope now, I had no idea the foods I ate could effect me like that. I've given up all diet soda, I drank probably 6 diet cokes a day, not to mention 6 cups of coffee when I woke up. no breakfast but mostly fast food at lunch and dinner because I don't really know how to cook. That all has changed. I now make sure I eat breakfast, oatmeal with half a banana and soy milk, no more dairy. I didn't realize dairy was so bad for me. My acne has cleared up too. Debra thought I might have a problem with gluten and dairy so I took both out of my diet and have noticed a substantial difference in how I feel. I haven't ordered the stool test yet, I know I should have before I took wheat out of my diet. i cook all the time now. It was hard to start but now I cook large amounts of several recipes in the workbook and eat off those for a couple days before we get tired of it.

I plan on staying on the diet plan because I know it's the right thing to do, but I wanted to come back and tell you how grateful I am now to have my life back. i feel like for the first time in a long time anything is possible for me now. 

I'm so Happy I found the Cycle Diet 14 Nov 2007 16:21 #2424

• Sunflower
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Welcome to the Support Board Sunny,

And Thank You! :D  for sharing your story here for other women to read. I'm also happy you found the Cycle Diet and are feeling stronger and more optimistic. This is something I hear quite a lot from women who follow the plan. Lets face it, if you have an inappropriate diet to begin with your body will scream at you through symptoms. Paying attention to these symptoms, your body as well as your lifestyle is key.  If you slack off, your body may remind you through a symptom or two.

I know you had a difficult time learning to cook more often. Have you noticed a cost savings yet? I bet you have. I hear so often how "expensive" fresh fruit and vegetables are, as well as organic meats. Well, I always say...you're worth it. If you don't think your body's worth taking care of it will eventually reward you with disease.

I really wish you had done the gluten test, however being gluten-free two months will negate all blood tests for gluten intolerance so if you should again start eating gluten again and notice any GI problems or symptoms may offer enough for the stool test.

Have you talked with your doctor about your success? You can reply to me in the private forum or feel free to drop me an e-mail.

Again Thank you for your wonderful post and experience.

...I love your avatar :)

I'm so Happy I found the Cycle Diet 14 Nov 2007 16:31 #2425

• Sunflower
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks Deb,

I found my avatar on line, it's actually a quilt I fell in love with, can you believe that? I'm going to order it so I can hang it on my wall. I will drop you a line when I have time if you want to know where I found it. No I haven't talked with any of my doctors, I guess its a good idea to let them know, but I've had such horrible experiences with most of them I don't know about going back to any of them, except maybe my gyno. She was the only one who listened to me. My next appointment isn't until next year.

I'm so Happy I found the Cycle Diet 17 Nov 2007 16:11 #2426

• Sunflower
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello again Sunflower!! 

Congratulations on sticking to the diet and getting such wonderful results!!  I suffered with PMDD for months that got progressively worse, exactly as you described - my poor husband suffered the worst of it.    I was gluten free for several years before I found this diet, but still had a lot of other changes to make.  Also found I needed extra Vitamin D every day!  I am a brand new person.  And now that I"m pregnant, all the 'nutrition for pregnancy' reading I've done is lots of what I'm already doing! 

This way of eating has really become my lifestyle (OK, I still have a sweet tooth, and I'm not perfect).  But I realize now how I don't want certain things - deli meat, red meat, ham, sausages, etc.  I have found 'healthy' alternatives to most everything I cannot have (i.e. organic chicken hot dogs - yum!!). 

I never cooked much, either, and had to adapt when I found this diet.  I am a BIG fan of making *large* batches of food that freezes well, and then freeze it in smaller portions (read: FoodSaver).  Soups/stews are great for this. 

I've been gluten free for 5 years now, and have *many* favorite products.  Please PM me if you'd like to know more about product specifics. 

Good luck!!

Laura

I'm so Happy I found the Cycle Diet 18 Nov 2007 15:18 #2427

• Sunflower
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Laura and thanks for the kind offer, I'm just getting to know my way around this forum stuff so I'm not sure what you mean by PM? If I have a question do you mind if I ask it here on this support board?

I'm getting more familiar with all the information here, I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment but adjusting quickly. I've had to ask Deb for additional support along the way, I'm sure she's getting tired of all my e-mail questions. She's been so helpful, I just don't know where I'd be without all her kind support. She suggested I join a celiac support group, but I'm still hesitant about a diagnosis. I'm thinking I may test myself with bread and gluten over the holidays, I miss bread soooo much. It is so depressing to fix a sandwich for my children and not for myself or go through the drive thru at McDonalds and not be able to order anything except a drink. I hate the Ener-g rice bread I've been buying, it's so hard and dry. Do you know of a GOOD gf bread I can buy at the store? I don't care how much it costs, I miss my bread.

I'm so Happy I found the Cycle Diet 18 Nov 2007 22:35 #2428

• Sunflower
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Sunflower,

'PM' stands for private message.  IT's a way to email people through this site, because most of us don't post our email publicly.  I know it is overwhelming right now.  But anytime you craaaave something gluten free, just ask!  I love to share the good products I have found.

OK, so here is my *favorite* bread right now, you can order it online but it is WORTH the wait:  www.samisbakery.com .  It's the millet & flax bread.  THey also make hot dog buns and rolls....mmmmm......    Keep them in the freezer, because without preservatives they'll go bad.  I"m lucky to find it in a store near me, and literally stock up - I'm talking 8-10 bags at a time!!

I'm so Happy I found the Cycle Diet 20 Nov 2007 15:36 #2429

• Sunflower
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Laura,

Thank you soooo much for that link, it's in Tampa within driving range to my home. I'm very excited now, (this is me jumping up and down) I'm going right over there TODAY before traffic gets to bad. I'll let you know. I'm wondering if they sell to any of the local grocery stores by my house. I think I'll call them before I go and see. I've discovered many gf packaged foods that I really like but I'm trying to stay as naked as possible. Just plain whole foods, not a lot of processed products except during the follicular phase. I'm going to be preparing a turkey this year with gf stuffing. Time to go check out the gf recipes.

Laura, when you order on-line doesn't it take a long time to get to you so breads are dried out? I haven't ordered anything on line yet. Also, I noticed they also use wheat flour in some of their other breads at that bakery, aren't you afraid of cross contamination?

I'm so Happy I found the Cycle Diet 24 Nov 2007 00:43 #2430

• Sunflower
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Sunflower,

I buy the bread locally, and they keep it frozen.  And when I get it home, I freeze it again.  The man who runs the Natural Market where I buy it is a chef and is also Gluten Free, has been for years, and this is the only bread he eats.  If I remember correctly, he visited the plant at some point, and was satisfied with their GF processes.  But, I think the man there wanted to be extra cautious for people, or something (?). 

Anyway, I've been eating this bread for months; I just had an endoscopy with biopsies by my GI Dr., and they came back great.  She says I'm doing a great job with my GF diet, so I"m OK with the bread (and the buns, and the rolls...)!  I know there are different levels of tolerance, and for me these are OK. 

Laura

I'm so Happy I found the Cycle Diet 16 Feb 2008 14:21 #2431

• Sunflower
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Laura and Deb,

I'm sorry I've been away for so long, I have a new job that is wearing me out BUT I am no longer confined to my sofa 2 weeks out of every month and I'm back to say I'm doing GREAT :D. Thank you Debra!!

Deb, I did test positive on the enterolab test, but only a 12 :?. That's only 2 points over the negative, so I called them to have the nurse explain to me what that meant. She said it meant I need to avoid gluten the rest of my life. Just as you thought.

I must confess, I've slipped up over the last couple of months, some by accidental glutening-- some on purpose. I paid dearly for those glutenings, it seemed after I cleared the gluten out of my body and diet-- whenever gluten found it's way into my system it was 10 times worse then before!!! I've been visiting some of the other Celiac forum boards for more information, and many confirm increased reactivity to gluten after they've avoided it for so long. It seems if you're always ingesting it you are somehow less sensitive to it, but the damage increases.

I'm still grieving over the loss of my favorite foods like Italian white bread, sourdough bread, pastries and gooey yeast donuts.  I would get my first born for a crispy cream donut :shock:. Just kidding.:D

Oh, one last thing you 'll probably be interested in, my aunt was just diagnosed with IBS. I'm guessing there is a connection, I've also told her to order the stool test, but she's been dragging her feet.

I'm so Happy I found the Cycle Diet 16 Feb 2008 19:08 #2432

• Sunflower
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi SF :D,

Thank you so much for posting your update :). It's good to hear from you. Yes people do suffer setbacks if they're not careful. Maintaining a gluten free lifestyle while living with gluten eaters is tough but you can do it.

Food grieving is one of those things that takes time...I don't know if you'll ever get over a particular food until you find a GF substitute that suits your idea of the traditional food. So many of our favorite childhood memories are associated with gluten containing food. Creating new happy memories may help.

Finding other gluten-free foods that substitute will help as well. I can't say that I know of a gf crispy cream donut, but I have seen many gf donut recipes on-line. I'm sure if you Google gf donuts you'll find some prepackaged ones. I'll see what I can find for you.

The one caution I always try to give women with PMS/PMDD and gluten sensitivity is to maintain the Cycle Diet suggestions as closely as you can, it's so easy to get off track when you go gluten-free. Too many refined carbohydrates and sugar are main ingredients in gf foods....be careful not to focus on those too much.

Okay...please keep me informed as to how you're doing.

edit for link:

Quick search brough this fabulous gluten-free donut company, check out this link
to Celiac Specialites Shop.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds