Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This forum is for women working on the Gluten-Free and or Dairy-Free Diet plan. Registered members only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: dried lowfat milk

dried lowfat milk 22 Oct 2006 02:09 #1177

• Anonymous
  • Anonymous's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
HI, You had reccomened staying off of cows milk for a while, which I have for a week now. Though, I did have 1/2 a glass today and I was so exhausted all day. Anyhow, I was wondering if dry boxed low fat milk that is used for baking is ok to drink? I made some today and drank only a little bit.
Nicole

dried lowfat milk 22 Oct 2006 13:02 #1178

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Nicole,

Boy is that an excellent question, let me do a little research on that regarding the lactose. Baking or cooking might make a difference in helping break the lactose down a little. However I can tell you that the casein will stay intact in dried form cooked or baked.

I'll post that information as soon as I can but, why not just stick to soy milk or rice milk?

dried lowfat milk 22 Oct 2006 14:44 #1179

• Anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Alright, as I suspected both forms of lactose are intact as water is added back to dried milk products. We can digest the alpha form of lactose easily but if you're short of the form of lactase that is able to break down the beta form we have GI problems (bloat, gas, diarrhea).

I'm searching to see IF there's a commercial lactose free dried milk product, but haven't come upon one yet. I'm sure there has to be one since we have reduced lactose fluid milk products on the market.

I found an interesting article about how the US army had to come up with a low lactose form of dried milk for lactose intolerant soldiers. Which makes me wonder if they offered it to the public.

Again, my suggestion would be to try to use something else.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.049 seconds