Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This forum is for women working on the Gluten-Free and or Dairy-Free Diet plan. Registered members only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: G/f butter?

G/f butter? 02 Nov 2006 00:22 #1189

• happy4dolphins
  • happy4dolphins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Does anyone know of a g/f butter?
We are still getting gluten from somewhere and this is one thing I thought might have it and I don't even know it.
Nicole

G/f butter? 02 Nov 2006 02:24 #1190

• happy4dolphins
  • happy4dolphins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Nicole,

Butter, margarine, oils, even hydrogenated oils are all basically gluten free.

Chances are you're getting gluten from contamination without thinking about it or from old plastic, wooden and porous types of cooking bowls, spoons, and storage containers that once held gluten flours, pastas or bread. You'll want to throw away or separate old wood or plastic cutting boards that can also hold gluten proteins even if washed well. Think about pizza stones coming into contact with cookie sheets. You'll want to re-train everyone in your home- even friends and relatives coming into your home about not contaminating GF products by dipping or touching gluten knives, forks or accidentally spreading toast, bread with GF foods. Chip dips, crackers and cheeses...on and on.

Yes, I know this is an OH MY epiphany, but yes I've been talking with gluten free Celiacs and if you're going to be 100% gluten free you have to start to replace all of your old Tupperware, plastic storage containers, even pots and pans that might have flaked Teflon or deep ridges hiding these nasty little proteins.

Some of the suggestions I've received are --separate drawers or storage areas for gluten free cooking utensils (if your husband wants to continue to eat gluten) Separate and labeled peanut butters, margarine's, ketchup, mayo or anything that could become contaminated by an "Unaware" gluten eating person. I know this is a lot of work but this is something you will want to set up in your kitchen/pantry/cooking area or anywhere in your home where you eat or store food.

You'll want to think about glass storage and cooking bowls and maybe even those Gladware storage containers you use a couple time and then throw-away.

I know, I know, what a pain....but if you stay organized you can do it. I've also known many families just biting the bullet and everyone going gluten free at home just to make things easier.

This is why I think it's important to attend support groups. Ideas and knowledge they pass along to those of you getting started is invaluable.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds