Forgot Password       

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This forum is for women working on the Gluten-Free and or Dairy-Free Diet plan. Registered members only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Soy Questions

Soy Questions 17 Jan 2007 15:15 #1221

• Ann
  • Ann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Debra. First, of all, I love the new format for the message board. So nice and easy to use!
I do have a question about soy. I've seen on some websites that soy products are BAD for you. And I just don't know what to think. Last night, I was at a talk by a local chiropractor regarding natural hormone balance and he said that "soy isn't fit for human consuption." Ugh. It's so confusing. Just wondering what your thoughts are. And how you'd recommend I "ingest" this information. Thank you so much for your help!

Soy Questions 17 Jan 2007 17:07 #1222

• Ann
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
This is a response by Debra, the Cycle Diet Registered Dietitian

Update (added 1/13/14)
After much consideration, I would like to note that over the last 10 years, we have experienced an increase of Genetically Modified (GMO) soy in our food supply. In fact, almost 90% of non-organic soy is now Genetically Modified to withstand heavy doses of herbicides known as RoundUp and glycphosate, a component of RoundUp. Over the years I have noticed more food sensitivities to soy and no longer recommend soy that is NOT organic. In other words, if you live in the US, please avoid GMO soy. This is very hard to do if you eat fast food and processed foods. Please learn to read the INGREDIENT lists on all processed food products. Also note all commercial salad dressings, mayo and jarred products contain soy oils, unless it is organic. The best advice I can give you is to learn buy organic products when you can and learn to cook in order to control all ingredients.

[user=57]Ann[/user] wrote:

he said that "soy isn't fit for human consumption." Ugh. It's so confusing. Just wondering what your thoughts are. And how you'd recommend I "ingest" this information. Thank you so much for your help!

Oh boy do love a good soy discussion so here we go.....,

As you can tell by my recommendations of soy products in their whole or very close to whole forms in the Cycle Diet I do believe in soy products as a great source of vegetable protein vs. animal protein and as a dairy replacement for those who may either be lactose intolerance or allergic to whey or casein (the major proteins in dairy).

Granted there are many people who can't tolerate soy since it too is one of the 8 major allergens and in some individuals can cause a rare IgE anaphylactic immune response. Some individuals can also be sensitive to soy but not necessarily allergic so in that case I would recommend staying away from soy and especially soy isolates found in many protein drinks and powdered supplements. I don't ever recommend isolated soy protein.

Soy has been consumed by millions of people world wide for thousands of years so as to your chiropractors assertion that it's not fit for human consumption is a narrow minded statement. Now after saying that- I would like to take into consideration the context of this statement, since it involves discussion regarding "hormone replacement", which I also believe should be carefully considered with the help of a knowledgeable physician and not necessarily a Chiropractor or for that matter a compounding pharmacist (sorry, this my opinion).

I think and am really guessing your Chiropractor is referring to "isolated soy phytoestrogens" in the form of the two major isoflavones-phytoestrogens in soy: genistein and daidzein and in this case I must agree that ingesting large amount of isolated phytoestrogens is not a good idea.

I also advise women or men on thyroid medication to avoid a lot of soy since it's been shown that soy in large quantities can interfere in the potency of thyroid medication. 

Soy milk, tofu, edamame, TVP, miso, soy sauce and other products made from the whole bean in regular amounts are fine, so don't worry. If you think you have a problem with soy you'll feel slow or groggy after ingesting it. If you think you want to be tested for a food sensitivity talk to an allergist or visit with me privately about how to be tested by a Board certified gastroenterologist.

I hope this answers your question, but this was a very simple explanation of what I think with the available research weighed evenly.

Soy Questions 17 Jan 2007 17:23 #1223

• Ann
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Here's a great resource if you're at all curious about the amount of isoflavones in soy products, done by Iowa State University:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/isoflav/isfl_tbl.pdf

as you will see most foods I recommend don't contain a huge amount of the two major phytoestrogens.

Soy Questions 21 Jan 2007 02:49 #1224

• Ann
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks so much for your response, Debra. I was just so taken aback and surprised by how negative the chiro was about soy.
Thanks again! Ann

Soy Questions 26 May 2009 16:13 #1225

• Ann
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
bump

Soy Questions 29 Oct 2010 19:25 #1226

• Ann
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Can "gluten-free" people have soy? Like soy milk?

Soy Questions 30 Oct 2010 00:52 #1227

• Ann
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
absolutely! Unless...they happen to also be sensitive to soy. Testing is always a good idea.

Soy Questions 30 Oct 2010 15:31 #1228

• Ann
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Silly question - what is the "bump"? Does that mean a member is pregnant?

Soy Questions 30 Oct 2010 15:59 #1229

• Ann
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
[user=804]Georgia[/user] wrote:

Silly question - what is the "bump"? Does that mean a member is pregnant?

bump stands for Bring Up My Post...:D Thanks for asking. I sometimes bump up a post when someone has a question about something I've answered already. You can see it better if it's at the top.

Soy Questions 13 Jan 2014 16:17 #9697

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
bump up for update
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds