Forgot Password       
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This forum is for women working on the Gluten-Free and or Dairy-Free Diet plan. Registered members only.
  • Page:

TOPIC: A Day in the Life of a Mixed Household

A Day in the Life of a Mixed Household 02 Aug 2011 14:05 #1427

• Debra
  • Debra's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • CycleDiet Registered Dietitian
  • Thank you received: 129
If you live in a household that's mixed--you need to be GF and the rest of the family is not, you will love this article written by one of nicest guys I know (Al Klapperich), who also happens to be a GIG group leader. Boy that was a long sentence.

A Day in the Life of a Mixed Household:

http://www.gigofecw.org/news/files/living_in_a_mixed_house.php

an exerpt:

This article was originally written and presented to the members of this support group in March 2009. I decided to correct some typographic errors and add some additional knowledge/information I didn't have when I originally wrote it.

This document draws upon my knowledge and experience I have acquired since going gluten-free in 2003. I have given you, the reader, a glimpse into how I personally carry out a gluten-free diet in a mixed house. I am not suggesting this is the only way or the best way; it's simply my way. Nothing more – nothing less. Please do not take any information found here as medical or professional advice. I'm not a doctor/nutritionist/dietitian, nor do I play one on TV. Before making any changes, discuss them with your healthcare team to make sure they are right for you.

My only intent is help others that may be struggling with the gluten-free lifestyle.

Al Klapperich
GiG of East Central WI - Branch Manager

Not only do we have to be concerned about gluten ingredients that make up our food – we also have to be concerned about any gluten that may come into contact with our gluten free food.

Often times those that are new to the diet [or our friends and loved ones that don’t yet understand the diet], don’t fully understand the lengths we have to go thru to make sure our food isn’t contaminated. Yes, eye rolls and sighs are often the reactions we get. They think we’re being over cautious, anal retentive, drama queens…running around like Lucy van Pelt in A Charlie Brown Christmas “Ugh! I've been kissed by a dog! I have dog germs! Get hot water! Get some disinfectant! Get some Iodine!”

Gluten is gluten – it doesn’t matter how we come in contact with it. We need to be mindful of it.

GF or NGF [Non-Gluten-Free] Household – That is the question

Choosing what type of house to have depends on many factors. Economic, young children, percentage of members that require GF – just to name a few. I’m not going to defend or promote one way or the other. Every one must make the choice that fits them best. There’s no question that having a totally GF house would make things a lot easier on those that need to be GF. You have to weigh the practicalities of each side very carefully. For us it’s an economic choice. There is no need for Peg to be consuming 3.50 per pound pasta. If we had kids, we might have chosen differently.

Obviously those people that have a GF household are going to have an easier time of this. I’d venture to guess that, most people have a mixed house. I suspect that most celiac homes are mixed [meaning those that must be GF are, those that aren’t GF have gluten foods in the house]. I took a poll on one of the discussion boards I administrate. 77% (24) live in mixed houses.

I will say this – if you are having trouble getting your numbers down on your annual follow up blood work or still don’t feel well – you’d need to examine what is going on. How is gluten getting in? Are your food choices correct? Are you eating processed/packaged foods? Are you dining out? Could it be cross contamination at home? Did you check your meds/supplements? A number of things must be considered.

[/i]

read the rest of the article by hitting this link:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

One woman's nutrient is another woman's antigen
Listen to your body, it's talking to you

A Day in the Life of a Mixed Household 02 Aug 2011 18:51 #1428

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Heheeee Thanks Debra, you're a sweetheart!

I've been sitting on that article for years and I happened to show it to a few of my gluten-free online friends and they spoke highly of it, so I figured I'd put it out for all to see.

I just hope it can benefit others...

Keep up the great work!! I know you've doing your fair share of gluten-free education too.

Al

A Day in the Life of a Mixed Household 02 Aug 2011 19:15 #1429

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
~

I also tweeted it a few times so you may get a little traffic to your website from there too. Good stuff. :)

A Day in the Life of a Mixed Household 14 May 2012 16:15 #1430

• Debra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
bump

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds